The concept of contraceptive pill we know may be about to disappear, thanks to a new alternative, the male contraceptive pill. A clinical trial for a new and revolutionary contraceptive pill, which has the particularity of being taken by man, is scheduled to prevent pregnancy.
The clinical trial will involve 420 cases from the United Kingdom, Sweden, Italy, Chile and Kenya, and various medical facilities in the United States, once the required authorizations for this test are made public and approved.
This new contraceptive pill acts quite simply, being produced in the form of a gel, which is then applied to the shoulder area once a day. This gel contains progestin and testosterone, the first one is to prevent the production of sperm, and the second compensates for the low levels of the hormone in question.
A pilot study has already been developed in which sperm counts after pill application were of about one million per milliliter or less, which is generally clinically accepted as the level of non-sperm production in 89 percent of the participants, and it is believed that the fact that the remaining 11 percent did not show such efficient readings is due to the fact that they have not done the procedure correctly, failing applications.
Last month, a male pregnancy prevention method was introduced through the use of a bimonthly injection, which proved to be quite effective, but the study could not be taken to the end, since 20 of the participants started to present behaviors such as erectile dysfunction, pain and sudden mood swings, and in addition, one participant maintained levels below normal sperm count, even after four years of the last injection.
One of the main obstacles to the creation and use of a male pill is that the method of suppressing sperm production also creates negative effects similar to the lack of testosterone.
The great advantage of gel administration is that the release of testosterone occurs slowly and moderately, at a constant rate allowing the levels of this hormone not to be extremely low, but at the same time ensuring that they do not reach levels above which the process of sperm production is initiated.